NB PharmaCheck™ is a medication review program to help patients get the most benefit from their medications.
The program’s goal and objectives are as follows:
- Program Goal:
- To provide a professional pharmacy service focused on the appropriate utilization of chronic medications to improve patient outcomes.
- – Improve a patient’s knowledge of and adherence with their medications
- – Enhance the potential benefits associated with a patient’s medications
- – Reduce the potential risks associated with a patient’s medications
- Only one medication check-up will be reimbursed per beneficiary per year (April 1st to March 31st).
- New Brunswick Prescription Drug Program (NBPDP) beneficiaries taking 3 or more chronic prescription medications:
– Seniors (Plan A) effective June 1, 2012
- – Department of Social Development clients (Plan E and F) effective April 1, 2014
Claims must be submitted using the following information:
- NBPDP beneficiary ID number
- PIN 00121212
- New Brunswick Pharmaceutical Society Pharmacist's Licence Number in the Prescriber ID field (unless requested by another prescriber)
- $0.00 in the Drug Cost field
- $52.50 in the Dispense Fee field
- Patient must leave with a complete, accurate, up-to-date
personal medication record that includes the name and signature of both
the patient and the pharmacist who conducted the Medication Check-up,
as well as, the pharmacy contact information.
- A copy of the signed record must be retained by the
pharmacy for a period of three (3) years.
- It is recommended that consent be obtained from
the patient if their personal health information related to a Medication
Check-up is to be shared with another health care provider.
After completing a Medication Check-up, it is expected
that a patient understand:
- The names of their medications
- Why they are taking their medications
- The best way to take their medications
- Any special instructions that may be associated with
the proper use of their medications
Expected completion time:
Downloadable NB PharmaCheck™ Program Tools:
PharmaCheck™ and the PharmaCheck™ logo are trademarks of
Canadian Pharmacists Association
and are used under license.