Dec. 14, 2009
SAINT-LOUIS-DE-KENT (CNB) - A $21.9-million nursing home will be constructed in Saint-Louis-de-Kent to replace Villa Maria Inc.
"We are committed to providing equal opportunity for New Brunswickers to obtain quality health and senior care, and that is why we are making strategic investments to renew and revitalize the province's nursing home infrastructure," said Premier Shawn Graham. "Saint-Louis-de-Kent is one of many communities to benefit from our new multimillion-dollar capital renewal and replacement plan for nursing homes."
Construction of the 73-bed nursing home is expected to begin in the spring of 2011 with completion scheduled for the summer of 2012. The project will create about 200 construction jobs.
Under the provincial government's capital renewal and replacement plan, 11 nursing homes are being replaced with new facilities, and two new nursing homes will be built, in Neguac and Dieppe. Five nursing homes will undergo major additions; 31 will be renovated; and six will undergo minor repairs.
The total investment in nursing home infrastructure in New Brunswick will reach $400 million over the next five years. All new facilities are expected to be completed by 2016-17. A total of 297 new beds will be created across the province.
These new nursing home beds will be in addition to the 403 beds already being added to the long-term care system, including the 216 beds opening in 2010 through a public-private-partnership.
"I am very pleased that we are meeting our Charter for Change commitment to create 700 new nursing home beds over the next 10 years," Graham said. "The capital renewal and replacement plan fulfils this very important commitment for senior care in New Brunswick."
Projects will be funded through bank loans to individual homes as authorized by Social Development. Cost recovery for new and upgraded facilities will be calculated into the provincial funding provided for nursing home services each year.
The province does not own nursing homes. It funds 85 per cent of nursing home operations in New Brunswick, totalling more than $220 million annually.
The infrastructure improvements will provide more spacious facilities, new equipment and better ventilation, improved quality of space and more privacy and personal space for nursing home residents.
All new nursing home projects will follow one design and construction model. Nursing homes operated by non-profit organizations will work with the provincial government in following the standardized model for each new facility. This consistent approach will allow for substantial savings in time, design and building costs. About 3,600 construction jobs will be created across the province over several years.
More information on the nursing homes to be built, replaced, expanded, renovated and repaired is available online.
Any projects already under construction or previously approved will proceed as usual.
MEDIA CONTACT: Marie-Andrée Bolduc, communications, Office of the Premier, 506-444-2286; Judy Cole, communications, Senior Services, 506-444-3522.