Sept. 5, 2008
SAINT JOHN (CNB) - Public Health, acting on a complaint, has found evidence of a rodent infestation problem in the food section of the Giant Tiger store at 100 Prince Edward St. in Saint John.
The store sells pre-packaged food products only, but many packages were found to be gnawed through, with some product lying loose on shelves. This represents potential product contamination.
Dr. Scott Giffin, district medical officer of health, recommends that anyone who purchased food product with evidence of gnawing or evidence that the package has been torn should not consume the product, and should contact the Giant Tiger store. Food product with packaging that appears intact should have the packaging wiped clean with water and a mild detergent prior to opening and use.
Food products that have been contaminated with droppings and urine, as well as products that were found to be gnawed through, have been removed from the store.
The Giant Tiger store is co-operating with the Department of Health to ensure the ongoing safety of the public.
MEDIA CONTACT: Johanne Le Blanc, communications, Health, 506-457-3513.