Health

Another case of H1N1 flu virus confirmed in New Brunswick (09/06/30)

NB 939

June 30, 2009

FREDERICTON (CNB) - A tenth case of the H1N1 virus in New Brunswick was confirmed today by the Department of Health. In May, at the height of public interest in the outbreak, Dr. Eilish Cleary, the province's chief medical officer of health, said additional cases could be expected. There were nine confirmed cases as of the end of last week.

"Today, we received confirmation that a woman in her 50s from the Fredericton area has the H1N1 flu virus." said Cleary. "We remind New Brunswickers to continue to use preventative measures to help reduce the spread of the flu."

This means washing hands thoroughly and often, and coughing or sneezing into sleeves.

If people have influenza-like symptoms, they should stay home and minimize contact with family members as much as possible. If symptoms worsen, they should visit their physician, a walk-in clinic, or the nearest hospital emergency department.

People who are at high risk of complications from influenza-like illness should seek medical attention promptly. This would include pregnant women, people with underlying medical conditions such as diabetes, or those with compromised immune systems.

New Brunswickers are reminded that it is safe to go to work and school, participate in activities and to socialize if they do not have influenza-like symptoms.

None of the cases reported in New Brunswick since the outbreak began on April 26 has required hospitalization; all of those affected have recovered or are recovering.

More information is available using the 24-hour H1N1 telephone line, 1-800-580-0038, or at www.gnb.ca/flu.

09/06/30

MEDIA CONTACT: flumedia@gnb.ca; Meghan Cumby, communications, Department of Health, 506-457-3522.

09/06/30