Intergovernmental and International Relations

Order of New Brunswick recipients announced (03/10/20)

NB 944

Oct. 20, 2003

FREDERICTON (CNB) -- The names of the recipients of the Order of New Brunswick for 2003 were announced today in Fredericton. Premier Bernard Lord announced the names of the seven recipients, and Lt. Gov. Herménégilde Chiasson signed the Order-in-Council which made it official at Old Government House.

The seven recipients of the Order of New Brunswick for 2003 are:

  • Mathieu Duguay, C.M., Lamèque
  • Clifton Furrow, Canterbury
  • Claude Gauvin, Grande-Digue
  • Kenneth Colin (K.C.) Irving, O.C., Saint John (posthumous)
  • Dr. Ludmila Knezkova-Hussey, Bathurst
  • G. Wallace F. McCain, O.C., Florenceville / Toronto, Ontario
  • Corinne Pichette, Edmundston/Campbellton

"Our province is home to many extraordinary New Brunswickers," Lord said. "The Order of New Brunswick recognizes those individuals whose achievements and contributions to our province and its people make New Brunswick a truly wonderful place to live, work and raise a family. We are proud to add these seven distinguished and accomplished individuals to the Order of New Brunswick."

Lt. Gov. Herménégilde Chiasson and Premier Bernard Lord.

Video : (WMV) Audio : (WMA) - (more audio/video)

"This beautiful province is home to many exceptional people who make our communities better for their involvement, or whose creativity has enriched our spirit or touched our heart," Chiasson said. "The Order of New Brunswick is for them - and for all of us."

The Order of New Brunswick was created to recognize individual New Brunswickers who have demonstrated excellence and achievement in a particular area and who have made outstanding contributions to the social, cultural or economic well-being of our province.

The first 10 recipients of the Order of New Brunswick were inducted into the order in a ceremony held on Oct. 11, 2002.


EDITOR'S NOTE: Biographical notes on the seven recipients are attached. MEDIA CONTACTS: Chisholm Pothier, Office of the Premier, 506-444-2286; Tim Richardson, Office of the Lieutenant-Governor, 506-453-2505.

Biographical Notes - Order of New Brunswick recipients

Mathieu Duguay, C.M., Lamèque

Musician and educator Mathieu Duguay taught in Montreal before returning to his native New Brunswick to passionately devote himself to his musical and educational pursuits.

Born in Lamèque, Duguay studied at the College de Bathurst and the New Brunswick Teachers' College. He furthered his musical education at l'École supérieure de musique Vincent d'lndy in Montreal, graduating with a bachelor's degree in piano, and then received his master's in 'Early Music' from the Université de Montréal. He began his professional career in Montreal and Toronto as an organist, harpsichordist, and chamber musician.

Duguay returned to Lamèque in 1976, after an absence of nearly 15 years. His schedule was essentially focused on music. He gave private lessons and was organist and choir master in the parish of Notre-Dame-des Flots. He was one of the co-founders of the Conservatoire de musique de l'Acadie and one of the main advocates of the Chaîne culturelle de Radio-Canada in northeastern New Brunswick. His artistic talents and his involvement in the field, as well as his relentless work over many years certainly contributed to the success of this venture.

One of his crowning achievements is undoubtedly the establishment in 1976 of the Lamèque International Baroque Music Festival, an immense and ambitious project to bring chamber music to his hometown and region. The festival has subsequently brought recognition to Lamèque and New Brunswick throughout the world of music. The excellent calibre of the concerts has undoubtedly made this festival the greatest celebration of baroque music in Canada, and it stands proudly among the finest events of its type in the world.

In 1994, Mathieu Duguay was named to the Order of Canada, the Université de Moncton presented him with an honorary doctorate, and in 2000, he received the rank of Chevalier of the Ordre de la Pléiade.

Clifton Furrow, Canterbury

Clifton Hazen Furrow has made a life and a career out of helping others. Over the past 40 years, he has been instrumental in making the community of Canterbury a wonderful place to live.

He has worked with young boys as a Cub and Scout leader. He has served the community as a School Board Trustee, as head of the community recreation council, chairman of the Canterbury Board of Trade and as Mayor of Canterbury for one term.

Furrow was one of the founders of the St. John Ambulance brigade in Canterbury in 1970. Prior to having an ambulance in the village, he offered his station wagon as a way to transport patients to the hospital in Woodstock. He was appointed superintendent of the Canterbury brigade in October 1970 and remained superintendent until 1996.

Furrow joined the Canterbury Volunteer Fire Department in 1962, serving as deputy fire chief for many years and has been Canterbury's fire chief since 1997.

He has been a long standing member of St. Mark's United Church where he has volunteered countless hours, whether it be as Sunday School Superintendent or, as one resident put it, "simply the electrician who somehow managed to keep the old furnace running."

He retired this year after 23 years with the local school district. In his retirement years, Furrow remains active with the St. John Ambulance and many other volunteer organizations.

One of the many who nominated Clifton Furrow summed up this unique man in this way, "Clifton never made a million dollars. He never attained fame, nor did he want it. He simply kept a small community alive and saved lives along the way."

Claude Gauvin, Grande-Digue

Claude Gauvin has devoted her life to teaching and painting. She has been involved in the visual arts for more than 40 years, 25 of those years spent teaching at the Université de Moncton.

Gauvin received a diploma from l'École des Beaux-Arts de Montréal, a teaching diploma and a bachelor’s degree in teaching the visual arts from l'Université du Québec à Montréal. She also attended Tylor Art School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Nomadic by nature, Gauvin travelled throughout England, where she taught adult education for four years, as well as France and Germany. She has won a number of prizes and awards for her work, including le prix du Consul général de France (1961), the Constance Carlston prize from the University of Maine (1983), the silver medallion from the Art Society of London (1983) and the Miller Brittain prize from the Province of New Brunswick (1991) which recognized her exceptional contribution to the visual arts.

Since 1967, her works have been presented in a number of solo and group exhibitions in New Brunswick, throughout Canada and in Europe. She has had a number of commissions, including work for the National Capital Commission in Ottawa and the Université de Moncton. Her works form part of several private and public collections, including the New Brunswick Art Bank, the McDonald Collection of Toronto and the Jeoffrey Massey Collection in Vancouver.

Gauvin has taught at several schools and universities, including l'École des métiers commerciaux in Montreal and the Mitchell School of Philadelphia. She has spent the majority of her teaching career with the Department of Visual Arts at l'Université de Moncton, where she teaches painting and drawing.

Originally from Bathurst, Claude Gauvin has lived in Grande-Digue for many years.

Kenneth Colin (K.C.) Irving, O.C., Saint John (posthumous)

New Brunswick's first modern industrialist, Kenneth Colin (K.C.) Irving founded a business empire that ranges from forest products, pulp and paper and oil refining and distribution to transportation, publishing and broadcasting. The name Irving is synonymous with New Brunswick, and the empire which he founded is a crucial component in the New Brunswick economy.

K.C. Irving was born into a prosperous Scottish Presbyterian family in Bouctouche, Kent County, where his father, J.D. Irving, ran a lumber business. Young K.C. attended Dalhousie and Acadia universities before enlisting with the Royal Flying Corps during the First World War. By the early 1920s he was operating a profitable gas station and Ford dealership and was agent for Imperial Oil in Kent County. In 1924, after a dispute with Imperial Oil, he began importing his own oil and gas from the United States.

In 1925, Ford granted Irving its dealership for Saint John and county. K.C. Irving Limited was incorporated that year and Irving Oil Company Limited in 1929. Saint John became the centre of his developing business interests. He expanded rapidly into service stations and garages, and in the 1930s took over a number of bus and trucking companies, building his own stations and service depots.

On the death of his father in 1933, Irving acquired J.D. Irving Ltd, the family lumber business, and in 1938 he bought Canada Veneers, which thrived on wartime sales to become the world's largest supplier of aircraft veneers. Irving also bought large tracts of timberland and was the main player in the New Brunswick timber industry by 1951.

In the 1950s, K.C. Irving took a personal interest in the issue of reforestation. By the late 1970s, millions of trees had been planted and the Irving Group was recognized as a reforestation leader in North America.

In 1960, K.C. Irving built his oil refinery in Saint John, now one of the largest in the world, and bought the Saint John shipyard to build tankers and ships for his company and others. By the l960s, his companies employed about eight per cent of the entire labour force in New Brunswick, and this figure continues to grow. His newspapers, radio, and TV stations, including pioneering station CHSJ, were primary sources of news and information.

K.C. Irving retired to Bermuda in 1971, but was never far from the province and city where he made his life. Known as much for his common touch as for his reputation as a businessman, K.C. was and still is synonymous with the City of Saint John and the Province of New Brunswick. K.C. Irving passed away in Saint John in December 1992.

Dr. Ludmila Knezkova-Hussey, Bathurst

A gifted concert pianist and composer, renowned choral conductor and chamber performer, respected clinician and teacher, Ludmila Knezkova-Hussey has had an incredible career and life by any measure.

Born in the former Soviet Union and a proud resident of Bathurst, Knezkova-Hussey was recognized at an early age as having a unique musical talent. At the age of six she entered the Special Music School in Lvov, Ukraine, which she attended for 11 years, and then continued her studies in piano at the Tchaikovsky Conservatory in Moscow. Following her studies in Moscow, she moved to Czechoslovakia where she won first prize in the Czechoslovakian National Piano Competition and later the Smetana International Piano Competition.

Working toward her doctorate in music, Knezkova-Hussey received scholarships from the Czech Musical Foundation to continue her studies abroad, winning an international piano competition in Germany in 1989.

While living in Czechoslovakia, she worked as a soloist with the West Bohemian Symphony Orchestra and the Karlovy Vary Symphony Orchestra. She has also performed as a soloist and with chamber groups, as an accompanist, and as guest artist with numerous symphony orchestras throughout the world.

In addition to her orchestral accomplishments, Knezkova-Hussey is an experienced and respected music teacher and works extensively with choirs as director and accompanist. She is fluent in English, Russian, German, Czech, and French.

From her base in Bathurst, Ludmila Knezkova-Hussey has continued her career with increased appearances in Canada, the United States, and Europe. Her concerts are regularly recorded by CBC Radio.

In 1993, she established the Ludmila Knezkova-Hussey International Piano Competition, which attracted many gifted and talented pianists from all over the world. This competition takes place every second year in Bathurst and is judged by an international panel of experts.

G. Wallace F. McCain, O.C., Florenceville / Toronto, Ontario

Wallace McCain is one of Atlantic Canada's most successful entrepreneurs, building a small frozen french fries business into an internationally successful frozen food empire. He continues to achieve great success in the food processing industry while being active as a leader and benefactor to the community at large, in Florenceville, in New Brunswick and throughout Canada.

Born and raised in Florenceville, McCain received a bachelor of arts from Mount Allison University in 1951 and has received honorary degrees from Mount Allison, University of King's College and the University of New Brunswick.

McCain formed McCain Foods, Ltd. in 1956 with his older brother Harrison, which has grown to become one of the largest frozen food companies in the world.

McCain was president and co-chief executive officer of McCain Foods until 1995 and is currently vice-chairman. McCain became chairman of Maple Leaf Foods, Inc. in 1995 following the acquisition of the Company.

McCain has received numerous distinctions and honours during his career, among them: Officer of the Order of Canada, 1995; Canadian Business Hall of Fame, 1993; New Brunswick Business Hall of Fame, 1997; and Honorary Life Member, Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of New Brunswick, 2003.

Wallace McCain is also a director of the St. Michael's Hospital Board and is co-chair of the National Ballet School Financial Campaign and chair of the National Advisory Council of Mount Allison University.

Corinne Pichette, Edmundston/Campbellton

Originally from Campbellton, Corinne Pichette embodies the true meaning of service. Always concerned for the welfare of others, she gave of her time and effort during her 42-year career in nursing, through her generosity and volunteer work and many other activities of a charitable nature to which she devoted much of her life.

Pichette is today the only survivor of four pioneering women in the field of public health in New Brunswick. After receiving her nursing diploma from the St-François d'Assise hospital in Québec, she worked as a nurse in the public and private sector in New Brunswick. She received a certificate in public health in Montreal in 1945, and eventually became the first public health nurse in the Madawaska-Victoria region, a position she enthusiastically held for 32 years.

When she began, the job of a public health nurse had many of the same functions as today, but the task was more difficult because of the many contagious diseases of the time.

Throughout her life, she was active in a number of volunteer organizations, including the Cancer Society, the Red Cross, and the nurses association of Madawaska. She was active in the Daughters of Isabella over a span of more than 50 years. As a musician, she was a violinist with the Edmundston Symphony Orchestra. After her retirement, she returned to Campbellton and continued to volunteer for a number of community organizations.

Corinne Pichette has been a source of inspiration for several generations of public health nurses in the Madawaska-Victoria region and throughout New Brunswick. She lives a happy life devoted to the service of others.