Intergovernmental Affairs

New Brunswickers should apply for passport or alternate document for cross-border travel (09/03/31)

NB 407

March 31, 2009

FREDERICTON (CNB) - The provincial government will not develop a special driver's licence for border crossings into the United States, so New Brunswickers should act now to choose an alternate border-crossing document, Premier Shawn Graham announced today.

As of June 1, all Canadians will require a passport or other acceptable document for crossing the Canada-United States border by land, sea or water, under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).

"We researched various options for a secure document, but we found that the cost to residents would be almost as much as a passport, which will still be required," Graham said. "Therefore, the best option for New Brunswickers will be to acquire a secure document from the federal government."

Acceptable federal documents include a passport; a NEXUS card (for low-risk, pre-approved travellers); or a FAST card (for low-risk, pre-approved commercial importers, carriers and registered drivers).

More information may be found at


MEDIA CONTACTS: Gisèle Regimbal, communications, Department of Intergovernmental Affairs, 506-444-4594; Lisa Harrity, communications, Department of Public Safety, 506-453-4433.