NB Power wishes New Brunswickers a safe, happy holiday (08/12/18)
Dec. 18, 2008
FREDERICTON (CNB) - NB Power wishes all New Brunswickers a safe and a happy holiday season with family and friends.
Here are some important electrical safety tips to keep in mind this holiday season:
- use the proper lights when decorating. Indoor lights should not be used outdoors because they lack weather-proof connections;
- do not use outdoor lights inside because they burn too hot indoors and could cause overheating;
- all outdoor lighting should be plugged into a ground fault-protected circuit to avoid electrical shock;
- inspect all light sets before use. Lights should be certified to the Canadian electrical safety standards required. You should also check for cracked bulbs and for frayed, broken or exposed
wires and discard faulty sets. Faulty lights or bulbs may cause a serious electric shock;
- never leave a bulb socket empty for small fingers to explore; 120 volts run through the socket.
- there is a tendency to overload wall outlets during the holiday season because it is only temporary. This is a very unsafe because it may cause overheating. Use only the number of
connections for which the outlet is designed.
- insert plugs fully into outlets. Poor contact may cause overheating and may cause electricity to jump;
- look out for overhead power lines. Use caution with ladders and poles to ensure you stay away from, and keep objects clear of, all power lines. Most electrical accidents occur when people
or something they are carrying or driving contact overhead power lines. If you touch lines or get too close to lines with a ladder, lumber, trees, or a wide variety of materials, the electrical
current will pass through the object to you and you sustain severe injury or death;
- consider replacing old incandescent seasonal light strings with the new longer-lasting and more energy-efficient holiday LED light strings. These lights last longer and save energy and
money; they are cool to the touch and are therefore safer.
It is important to keep these safety tips in mind when the holiday season has ended and it is time to take down your decorations. Keeping your outdoor lights up for an extended period will
leave them exposed to the elements, which reduces their lifespan and increases the risk of electrical shock and fire. You should take down, inspect and properly store all decorations early in the
new year to ensure that they will be safe to use next season.
MEDIA CONTACT: Heather MacLean, manager, media relations, 506-458-6618, or