Population Growth Secretariat

Population growth campaign begins with funding for youth initiatives (08/10/20)

NB 1528

Oct 20, 2008

FREDERICTON (CNB) - The Government of New Brunswick has launched a campaign to encourage newcomers and current New Brunswickers to "Be In This Place and visit NBjobs.ca."

(Multimedia)

The bilingual campaign will feature the success stories of seven New Brunswickers who are either immigrants; former New Brunswickers who have returned; or New Brunswickers who have decided to stay in the province.

Business New Brunswick Minister Greg Byrne, who is also minister responsible for the Population Growth Secretariat, unveiled the campaign today at St. Thomas University, speaking about the individuals whose success stories are featured in the campaign.

"As we were developing this campaign, we looked through dozens of success stories that have been sent into us," said Byrne. "There are truly some unique and fascinating success stories in our province that have educated and inspired us. We wanted to share these stories with all New Brunswickers and encourage them to be part of our self-sufficient future."

The campaign will consist of a series of television and online advertisements, running in New Brunswick until March, that will direct the audience to NBjobs.ca, an online job bank featuring hundreds of jobs in a variety of careers.

"One of the key components of population growth is getting the message out about what it is like to be in New Brunswick and what opportunities exist here," Byrne said. "In our population growth strategy, we made a commitment to doing a better job of marketing our province. With this campaign, we are fulfilling that commitment."

The website, www.NBjobs.ca has been revamped in partnership with www.careerbeacon.com, offering new features and allowing the audience to view various success stories online as well as search for jobs in the province.

"Throughout our repatriation and retention efforts, we have tried to bring real jobs to potential New Brunswickers," said Byrne. "One objective of this campaign is to instil a sense of pride in New Brunswickers about being here, while helping them to find a career in New Brunswick."

In support of the launch, Byrne revealed that the government will be establishing a $200,000 fund for organizations that work to keep young people in the province.

"During the Big Splash youth summit that we co-hosted earlier this year with the New Brunswick Advisory Council on Youth, it became clear that funding was needed to help engage New Brunswick's youth in their communities so that we can stem the tide of youth leaving the province," said Byrne. "Today's funding announcement will complement our campaign perfectly by demonstrating our commitment to helping young people stay and helping make our province self-sufficient."

The funding may be used for youth engagement initiatives (for ages between 15 and 35 years); for youth-driven community engagement initiatives; and for endeavours to increase the awareness of opportunities for youth in communities.

Eligible applicants include New Brunswick municipalities, incorporated rural communities and non-profit organizations. The New Brunswick Advisory Council on Youth and the Community Non-Profit Organizations Secretariat will be sitting on fund's interdepartmental review committee. For more information, funding guidelines and applications, visit www.gnb.ca/population.

08/10/20

MEDIA CONTACT: Brendan Langille, Communications New Brunswick, 506-471-3264.

08/10/20