Oct. 13, 2009
MUNDLEVILLE (CNB) - A ceremony marking the official opening of the new $6.55-million St. Nicholas River Bridge #1 took place today on Route 470, just west of Rexton. Premier Shawn Graham and Transportation Minister Denis Landry presided over the ceremony.
"With our record $1.2-billion capital budget we are seizing the opportunities to create jobs for today's economic downturn, while creating the infrastructure we will need to become self-sufficient," said Graham. "I am particularly proud of this project, which has built a bridge to serve my home community."
The new five-span concrete bridge is 193.75 metres long. Caldwell & Ross Ltd. of Fredericton was the successful bidder after five contractors submitted tenders. The project was completed over two construction seasons.
Graham said that the bridge replaces the former Mundleville covered bridge, which was destroyed by fire in February 2001. It was the second-longest covered bridge in New Brunswick, fifth-longest in the world, and had spanned the St. Nicholas River for 82 years. Motorists had been using a temporary bridge since the summer of 2001.
"Our government has made improving our rural roads a priority," said Graham. "This has meant that since taking office we have invested $906 million in transportation infrastructure, including more than $89 million right here in Kent County."
MEDIA CONTACTS: Andrew Holland or Matt Frye, Department of Transportation 506-453-5634; Marie-Andrée Bolduc, Office of the Premier, 506-453-2144.