Transportation / Office of the Premier

Construction projects announced for Kent County (10/07/16)

NB 1227

July 16, 2010

""

Multimedia

REXTON (CNB) - The provincial government is investing significantly in new transportation projects in Kent County with more construction activity to come.

Premier Shawn Graham outlined nearly $24 million in transportation projects today in Rexton. He was joined by Transportation Minister Denis Landry at the Richibucto River #1 Bridge on Route 134 which is being refurbished with an investment of $8 million. The provincial government has awarded a contract for the sandblasting and painting of the 54-year-old structure. Byron MacDonald Ltd. of Napan won the $2.95-million tender.

"This government has demonstrated its commitment to help create jobs, boost the economy and improve infrastructure in rural New Brunswick," said Graham. "Since 2007, we have invested more than $121 million across Kent County in desperately needed upgrades to modernize and improve bridges, highways and local routes. This is delivering better, safer infrastructure that is making a difference for people, businesses and communities."

More than 58 km will be paved this season. Several contracts have been awarded by the Department of Transportation so far through its 2010-11 capital budget:

Additional paving tenders are currently open for:

In addition to the Rexton Bridge, other structure and bridge culvert projects include:

This construction season, more than $2 million is being invested to upgrade 71 km of highway in Kent County through the provincial government's Rural Road Infrastructure Fund.

"Since 2007, we have followed through on this government's Charter for Change commitment to dramatically improve highways in rural New Brunswick through this dedicated program," Landry said. "The province has more than 18,600 km of highway, half of which are chipseal roads."

Through the 2010-11 Department of Transportation capital budget, more than $66 million is being invested in capital projects across Southeast New Brunswick. Landry said the department has issued calls for 90 per cent of the tenders for the entire province, with 104 contracts awarded to date.

10/07/16

MEDIA CONTACT: Andrew Holland, communications, Department of Transportation, 506-453-5634.

10/07/16