Aug 4, 2000
RIVIÈRE DU NORD (CNB) -- The Village Historique Acadien will open the expansion of its historic site on Saturday, Aug.12 at 11 a.m. After waiting patiently for a number of years, visitors will have the opportunity to visit five new complexes featuring several buildings located along a route to the south of the current site.
The new site is dominated by the Château Albert, a circa-1910 hotel with 17 rooms, a bar, a restaurant, and a barbershop. Until Sept. 9, visitors will be able to visit all three floors of the new building. The Thomas cooperage from Petit-Tracadie will give visitors the chance to learn more about the operation of a mill in which the machinery is powered by a steam engine. For this year, interpretation will be limited to the buildings.
Another complex that will arouse people's curiosity is the Ferdinand Ouellet tinsmith shop from Shediac, which has been restored to its original condition of 1905. Joining it is the Chiasson farm, which serves to illustrate farm work at the turn of the 20th century.
To reach the site of the expansion, visitors cross a covered bridge and can also stop at the lobster hatchery.
Besides touring the new buildings, visitors will be able to see the cultivated fields and the fences. They can also enjoy the scenic beauty and listen as guides tell them about the lives of Acadians between 1890 and 1937.
The opening of this expansion is part of the site's regular activities, and the site is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily until the end of the regular season.
MEDIA CONTACTS: Normand Thériault, Public Relations and Marketing, Village Historique Acadien, 506 726-2603; Sylvain Godin, historian, 506 726-2725.