NB Power's legislated mission is:
"to provide for the continuous supply of energy adequate
for the needs and future development of the Province and to promote economy and
efficiency in the generation, distribution, supply, sale and use of power".
(Electric Power Act, Chapter E-5, R.S. N.B., 1973, as amended.)
As stated in previous Business Plans, the mission statement requires a
degree of interpretation for the 1990s and beyond. The mission statement does
not specifically address a number of substantive issues, including:
- operations must be conducted in an environmentally responsible manner
and with due regard to health and safety;
- competitive market forces must be addressed;
- quality service must be provided in the context of today's service-oriented
It is anticipated that the evolution of deregulation and competition in the
electric utility industry will require NB Power to modify the mission statement
to better respond to the demands of the future. This also applies to NB Power's
corporate vision and corporate objectives.
"An innovative utility, providing superior service at
- Contribute to the economic development of the province and the well
being of the people of New Brunswick primarily through the exercise of sound
business practices with the primary objective of maintaining competitive rates.
- Ensure customers receive a reliable supply of quality electricity.
- Ensure customers receive quality service in their interactions with NB
- Take advantage of technology to improve operating efficiency and customer
- Create an environment which encourages the attraction and retention of
excellence in human resources.
- Maintain diversity in generation mix in order to take advantage of fuel
price and supply options.
- Promote the efficient use of electricity through conservation and energy
- Enhance external interconnection activities for the continued benefit of
- Manage the Corporation's operations in a manner which is sensitive to
health, safety and the environment.
- Maintain the confidence of the financial community.