|
|
|
Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick
Home | Français


  Protected historic site under the Historic Sites Protection Act

 

The Legislative Assembly Building, the Departmental Building, and the Old Education Building in Parliament Square in Fredericton, New Brunswick, were officially declared protected historic sites under the Historic Sites Protection Act, on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 in Fredericton, New Brunswick. (Images)

Grand Opening 1882

The main Legislative Building is the Centerpiece of Parliament Square and the seat of government since 1882. Within its walls are the Legislative Assembly Chamber, the Legislative Council Chamber, the Office of the Speaker, the Office of the Clerk, and the Legislative Library.

The new Legislative Building, designed by J.C. Dumaresq, was officially opened to much fanfare February 16, 1882. More than 2000 people attended the Opening. That evening a supper and a ball were held for almost 700 people. The building was constructed of sandstone blocks in the Second Empire Revival style and when the furnishing was complete, the total cost was $120,000.00.

Two distinctive features of New Brunswick's Legislative Assembly Building are the central domed tower, which rises 41 metres above the main roof level, and the large spiral self-supporting staircase.

The other two historic buildings, one on either side of the Main Legislative Building, are the Old Education Building on the east, and the Departmental Building on the west.

The Old Education Building, the oldest surviving public building in Fredericton, built in 1816, was originally one story and housed the offices of the Provincial Secretary and the Clerk of Pleas in the Supreme Court. A second story and attic were added in 1869 and until the late 1950s the building was occupied by the Department of Education. The East Block, as it is sometimes referred to, is now home to the Opposition Offices.

The 1888 Departmental Building was designed by R.C. Dunn of Saint John, and stands on the site formerly occupied by the office of the Surveyor General and later the Crown Lands Department. Often referred to as the West Block, it is now home to the Office of the Government Members, Hansard and the Legislative Press Gallery.

 
DISCLAIMER