Feb. 7, 2000
FREDERICTON (CNB) - This week in New Brunswick history, the last civil and military impediments to Catholics were removed in 1830, the first normal school in the province was opened in Fredericton in 1848, and the Canadian flag was unveiled 35 years ago in 1965.
Feb. 8, 1631
Charles de La Tour became lieutenant-governor and Governor of Acadia.
Feb. 8, 1793
Governor Carleton formed the 104th Regiment in the province.
Feb. 9, 1742
Missionary Father Thomas Cooke was born.
Feb. 10, 1763
The Treaty of Paris was signed ending the Seven Years War and making Canada British.
Feb. 10, 1848
The first provincial normal school was opened in Fredericton.
Feb. 11, 1923
Winnifred Blair, Miss Saint John, became the first Miss Canada in Montreal.
Feb. 12, 1800
The College of New Brunswick was granted its charter.
Feb. 13, 1830
The Executive Council recommended to the Assembly that legislation be passed to remove all civil and military liabilities from Roman Catholics.
Feb. 14, 1895
The Canada and New England Trust and Collecting Company was incorporated as a collection agency.
Feb. 15, 1854
King's College (UNB) offered the first engineering course in Canada.
Feb. 15, 1965
The Canadian maple leaf flag was adopted.
To find out more about New Brunswick history or to search a particular person, place or event in our past, visit This Week in New Brunswick History at: http://www.gnb.ca/scripts2/culture/heritage/thisweek-e.idc
MEDIA CONTACT: Craig Chouinard, communications, Economic Development, Tourism and Culture, 506-444-5916.