Dec. 6, 1999
FREDERICTON (CNB) -- This week in New Brunswick History saw the completion of Old Government House, then known simply as Government House, the opening of the Mechanics Institute in Saint John and the installation of Edouard LeBlanc as the first Acadian bishop in the Maritimes.
Saint Nicholas Day
Dec. 7, 1840
Saint John Mechanics Institute building opened.
Dec. 8, 1828
Construction of Government House (now Old Government House) was completed in Fredericton.
Dec. 9, 1856
The Farmers and Woodsmen's Electric Telegraph was patented.
Dec. 10, 1912
Edouard LeBlanc became the first Acadian bishop in the Maritimes at Saint John.
Dec. 10, 1958
Yvon Durelle fought Archie Moore for the light-heavyweight boxing title.
Dec. 11, 1834
Lieutenant-colonel Alexander MacDonald died in Bartibog.
Dec. 12, 1884
Saint John and Portland approved the construction of a new viaduct between the two municipalities.
To find out more about New Brunswick history or to search a particular person, place or event in our past, visit This Week in New Brunswick History at: http://www.gnb.ca/scripts2/culture/heritage/thisweek-e.idc
MEDIA CONTACT: Craig Chouinard, communications, Economic Development, Tourism and Culture, 506-444-5916.