Untitled Document
Court of Queen's Bench

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a Judgment?

When you commence a civil action against another person, and decide not to settle out of court, you will present your case before a judge. After the judge has heard all the evidence, he or she will render a decision for or against you.

What do I do with a Judgment?

If you have received a judgment in your favour you will be entitled to enforce it. Please see Enforcement of Judgments (http://www.gnb.ca/cour/judgments-e.asp) for more information.

How do I get a pardon?

For information on eligibility for pardons, please see Criminal Records Act (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/C-47/page-1.html). There is also information available on pardons and remissions in the Criminal Code , sections 748-49 ( http://lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/C-46/index.html).

How can a decision be appealed?

Summary conviction appeals from decisions of the Provincial Court are heard by the Court of Queen's Bench. For full details on how to file an appeal of a summary conviction, see Rule 64 of the Rules of Court (http://www.gnb.ca/0062/regs/Rule/RULE64.pdf) and Part XXVII of the Criminal Code (http://lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/C-46/index.html).

To file an Appeal of a civil matter you must fill out Form 62B (http://www.gnb.ca/0062/regl/form/Form-62b-e.pdf) in which you will set out the grounds for the appeal (that is, the errors that you allege were committed by the trail judge) and the relief that you are seeking. For full details on appealing a civil matter see Rule 62 of the Rules of Court (http://www.gnb.ca/0062/regs/Rule/RULE62.pdf).

For full details on how to file an Appeal of a criminal matter see Rule 63 of the Rules of Court (http://www.gnb.ca/0062/regs/Rule/RULE63.pdf) and Part XXI of the Criminal Code (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/C-46/page-14.html#anchorbo-ga:l_XXI).

Court of Queen's Bench of New Brunswick
(click here for a list of Court of Queen's Bench locations)