Hon. H.H. Williamson
He was educated at the Bathurst grammar school and at Sacred Heart University, Bathurst, N.B.
During the Second World War he enlisted as a private and rose to the rank of captain with the North Shore Regiment, seeing service overseas. From 1951 to 1953 he was attached to the 27th Canadian Infantry Brigade as part of Canada’s NATO commitment.
He located at Bathurst and engaged in business as a lumber contractor, stockbroker and prospector. He was associated with Williamson Development Co., Ltd.; Milado Mines Ltd., and Red Rock Mines Ltd.
On August 18, 1936, he married Miss Alice Marion Brown, daughter of Robert Brown. Their family consisted of one son and one daughter.
He was first elected to the House of Assembly as a Liberal member for Gloucester County at the general election of June 27, 1960. He was re-elected at the general election of April 22, 1963, and sat as a member until the dissolution of the Legislature in 1967.
On April 12, 1966, he was appointed Speaker of the House of Assembly, a position he held until 1967. At the general election of October 23, 1967, he was re-elected as a member of the House of Assembly of New Brunswick for the constituency of the City of Bathurst and sat as a member in the House.
On November 20, 1967, he was sworn in as a member of the Executive Council of New Brunswick and received the appointment of Minister of Labour in the administration of Hon. Louis J. Robichaud. In February of 1970 he was appointed Minister of Economic Growth. He was re-elected at the general election of October 26, 1970.
He died unexpectedly on August 24, 1972.
In the Telegraph Journal of August 26, 1972, Premier Hatfield paid the following tribute to Hon. Mr. Williamson:
During his 12 years in the Legislature, Mr. Williamson earned the friendship and respect of members on both sides of the House. During future sessions, his presence will be greatly missed.
Source - Speakers of the Legislative Assembly, Province of New Brunswick, 1786-1985. 1985, Legislative Assembly, Province of New Brunswick, Office of the Clerk, Fredericton, N.B.